Part II
In the early development stage, a separate Company had been formed by the three principals involved: Messrs. Fried, Allen and Morris. Taking the first letter of their last names and adding "CO", the Company and the machine became known as the "FAMCO" Sausage Linker. Before further work could be done, legal and physical problems had to be overcome. Design drawings and titles had to be purchased from the other principals, die casting dies had to be bought from the former producer, new die casting machines had to be built for the shop, parts, hardware and tooling had to be bought, and workers had to be trained. After a considerable struggle, 25 linkers were assembled and sold. Unfortunately, all 25 machines were returned for further work. Slowly, the problems were worked out and in the next decade the FAMCO business grew to be about 50% of the total Company business. During this period, job work and the precision gauge business continued to be pursued and the Company reputation advanced. By 1954, Mr. Allen had guided a flegling company through 40 years of business, good and bad, including a precarious startup period, two wars, and the Great Depression. He died in 1955 at the age of 85, leaving behind a multitude of loyal friends and associates, and a Company that would continue to prosper under the leadership of his sons, Rosslyn C. Allen and Charles H. Allen, Jr.
In the early 1960s, a development occurred in the sausage industry that increased the FAMCO linker sales dramatically -- a new type of sausage casing was marketed. At the time of introduction, the FAMCO was the only machine available that could successfully link this new product. The demand for FAMCO linkers in the United States and in foreign markets expanded to the point that manufacturing facilities were started in Scotland

to produce machines for Europe and other export areas. FAMCO sales in that period grew to about 80% of the total Company business. The remaining 20% was divided between Precision Gauge Sales and job work. In the next decade, oil exploration increased and the demand for gauges become heavy enough that job work was phased out and the Company concentrated on only two products: Precision Gauges and FAMCO Sausage Linker. In the 1980s, the oil boom had begun to subside and competitive sausage linkers had appeared on the market, and in 1986, it became necessary for the first time to reduce the number of shop employees needed. In the 86 years that have elapsed since Charles Allen decided to start his company, many businesses, large and small in the Pittsburgh area have ceased to exist for one reason or another, but Allen Gauge & Tool Co. continues to operate. Business conditions are slow in 2000, but no worse than some of the other critical periods that the Company experienced in earlier years. Charles H. Allen, Jr. the current President of the Company is confident that Allen Gauge & Tool Co. will continue to flourish. It may be interesting to note that FAMCO has sold 4000 standard linking machines to date. Of this total 3,000 have been sold in the USA and Canada. Since 1975, 1000 have been sold in various countries such as Great Britain, France, Norway, Scotland, Finland, Japan, Taiwan, and the contininent of Australia.

We are also proud to say that since 1982, we have sold over 500 MINI Machines. Although these machines do not twist, (they pinch and cut), they have complimented our overall sales program. At the present time, we have an agent, Pemberton and Associates, Inc., representing us in Canada. We also have an agent, Mr. Fergus Tobin, and Valentine Equipment Co. in Sacramento, California representing us in eleven of the Western States. Our two salemen, Dick Carson and Bud Kelly, who have been with us since the late 1950s, represent us in the remaining states. Mr. Pemberton and Mr. Tobin have been with us since the early 1950s. Our goal today is to expand our market, continue to produce a better product and keep our prices reasonable.

R. Robert Allen,
Vice President